Post Office Box 2191, Salisbury, MD 21802
(443) 783-1730 (Call / Text)

Rev. Howard F. Travers, Jr.
Wedding Officiant

Wedding Officiant FAQs

Are you an ordained minister?

Yes - I am ordained and in good standing with the International Church of the Foursquare Gospel headquartered in Los Angeles, CA.  However, I perform wedding ceremonies for couples of all faith groups and of no religious persuasion.  This is YOUR wedding ceremony and my goal is to honor YOUR wishes.

Are you licensed to perform my wedding?

I am licensed to perform wedding ceremonies in the state of DE, MD, and VA.  If you live outside these areas, I am required to submit my credentials to your state for licensing consideration.

How long does the wedding ceremony last?

Depending upon your specific needs and wishes, the wedding ceremony typically lasts from 20 to 45 minutes in length.

How much do you charge?

My wedding officiant fees typically range from $195 - $595 plus travel and expenses.

Do you offer other services in addition to officiant services?

In addition to serving as a wedding officiant, I offer pre-marital counseling and a marriage assessment at an additional cost to determine if marriage and the partner you've selected is right for you.  If you have other wedding needs, I am happy to refer you to one of my trusted vendors. 

Wedding FAQs

To get married in Ocean City, MD, Assateague, MD, or at any other location in Worcester County, MD

Call (410) 632-5500 or toll free 1-800-340-0691

The address to apply for a Marriage License is:
Office of Clerk of Circuit Court
1 W. Market Street Room 104
Snow Hill, MD 21863 

  • Hours for applying are 8:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
  • Only the bride or groom need apply. The fee for a marriage license application is $35.00, CASH only, no checks accepted. You will need to show a drivers license or birth certificate for both the bride and groom. No blood test is required. Social Security numbers for both is also required.
  • You must be married in Worcester County, if you obtain your license in Worcester County.
  • You must wait until after 6:00 a.m. on the second calendar day after you apply for the license before you can be married.
  • The license is valid for six months from the date of issue.
  • If either party is divorced, you will need documentation of same, please bring papers with you. If bride resumes her maiden name, documentation is required.
  • If either of you have a deceased spouse, you will need to know the date and place of death.
  • If under 18, please call for information.

To get married on a Delaware Beach or at any other location in Sussex County, Delaware

  • Both applicants must appear together when applying for a marriage license. The marriage license may be obtained during the hours 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. Sussex County Administrative Building, Room 226, Second floor, 2 The Circle, Georgetown, Delaware. If you are unable to make it during regular business hours, please call (302) 853-1717 to speak with the Chief Deputy to schedule an appointment, based on availability.
  • Each applicant is required to show a valid photo identification. The identification may be a driver’s license, a State-issued identification card, a passport or a military identification. Proof of residence is required if requesting the Delaware Resident fee.
  • You must be at least eighteen years of age to apply for a marriage license. If either applicant is under the age of eighteen, they are considered minors. Minors must file a petition at the State of Delaware Family Court for authorization to marry.  Bring a certified copy of that order with you when you are ready to apply for your license.
  • Applicants may not be related to each other.
  • Applicants must not be under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
  • No blood test is required.
  • If a female applicant is divorced and legally reclaimed her maiden name, the original, true copy or a certified copy of the name change court papers is required. A photocopy is not acceptable.
  • If either applicant has been married and the marriage was terminated by divorce or annulment, the last divorce or annulment decree is required. It must be signed by a Judge and bear a seal indicating that it is the original, true copy or a certified copy. A photocopy is not acceptable.
  • If either applicant has been married and the marriage was terminated by death, the original, true copy or a certified copy of the death certificate is required. A photocopy is not acceptable.
  • You will need to know all prior wedding dates.
  • If either applicant is on probation or parole, they must have written permission to marry from their probation or parole officer.
  • Birth certificates are not required but helpful in the process. If you don't have one handy, please know the following information when you apply for an application:
    • Father's first, middle and last name
    • Mother's first, middle and maiden last name
    • State or Country of birth for both parents
    • State or Country of residence for both parents
  • If either applicant requires an interpreter, they must provide their own. The interpreter must be at least eighteen years of age. There is a part-time Spanish-speaking interpreter working in the office, please call (302) 853-1717 to find out their availability.
  • The marriage license is valid for 30 days, based on time of application. Keep in mind, if you apply online, your time of application will be the time that you complete the application process in the office. It must be used in that time period. It is only valid in the State of Delaware. The waiting period is 24 hours (based on time of application) for all applicants.
  • Allow at least 20 minutes for the marriage application process.

To get married in Chincoteague, VA or at any other location in Accomack County, VA

Every marriage in Virginia must be licensed and solemnized according to state law. The following information is intended to summarize these laws, but should not be construed as legal advice.


1. Age Requirements and Consent

The minimum age for marriage in the Commonwealth of Virginia is 16 years for both bride and groom. If either party is under 18 years old, consent to the marriage must be given in person by the father, mother or legal guardian of the minor. The law permits marriage by a person under 16 if the bride is pregnant when seeking a marriage license or has been pregnant within the nine months preceding examination by a physician, and the parent or guardian of the under age party gives consent.

2. Prohibited Marriages

The following categories of marriages are illegal in Virginia: 

  • A marriage entered into prior to the dissolution of an earlier marriage of one of the parties
  • A marriage between an ancestor and descendant; or between a brother and a sister; or between an uncle and a niece; or between an aunt and a nephew; whether the relationship is by the half or whole blood or by adoption
  • When either party lacks the mental or physical capacity to consent to the marriage
  • "Common law" marriages are not valid if entered into in Virginia or any other jurisdiction which does not permit them for its residents


1. Where to Obtain License

A marriage license may be obtained from the Office of the Clerk of Circuit Court in any city or county in Virginia. A license may be obtained in Accomack County even if one or both parties do not reside in the county, except that a pregnant bride under 16 years of age must apply for a marriage license in the locality in which she resides. Once granted, a marriage license permits a marriage ceremony anywhere in the Commonwealth of Virginia.Both parties must appear in person to receive the license. The Office of the Clerk of Circuit Court is open from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday, except holidays. Please arrive no later than 4:00 p.m. to ensure that there is enough time to properly process your application. Each party must furnish the required information under oath or affirmation, and falsifying any information on a marriage license could subject the parties to prosecution for perjury. Your driver's license or a valid photo ID is required.

2. Time Limitations

There is no waiting period in Virginia between being granted a divorce and remarrying or between applying for and being issued a marriage license. Once a marriage license has been issued, however, the marriage must be performed within 60 days or the license becomes void. After the marriage ceremony is performed, the officiant (person authorized to celebrate the rites of marriage) must return the marriage license to the Clerk of Circuit Court's office within five days.

3. Fees

The Clerk of Circuit Court will charge a fee of $30 for issuing a marriage license. Twenty dollars of this fee is a state tax on marriage licenses and $10 is the statutory clerk's fee for issuing and recording the license. A certified copy of your marriage license is $3. 


No person may celebrate the rites of marriage in Virginia who is not authorized to do so by a circuit court. 

1. Witnesses

There is no statutory requirement that witnesses be present at the marriage ceremony.

2. Marriage Record

Within five days after the marriage ceremony, the officiant must complete and sign the Marriage license and forward both forms to the circuit court clerk's office that issued the license. The license is then forwarded to the Virginia Division of Vital Records. In addition to these two forms, the officiant is welcome to prepare any other type of certificate to be given to the newly married couple.


If you wish to change your last name upon marriage (whether you are the bride or groom), begin using the new name immediately after the marriage ceremony.

  • Social Security - Complete Social Security Administration Form SS-5 and either mail it or take it to your nearest Social Security office. Include a certified copy of your marriage license (see below). There is no fee for filing Form SS-5. You should receive your new social security card within four weeks, and your social security number will not change. (For more information about changing your social security records, click here.)
  • Driver's License - Bring your driver's license, social security card and a certified copy of your marriage record (see below) to the Department of Motor Vehicles. There is a $5 fee for a new driver's license card. (For more information about correcting your DMV records, click here.)
  • Voter Registration - Notify the Registrar's Office of your name change.
  • Personal Property - Notify the Commissioner of the Revenue's Office of your name change within 30 days.
  • Address Changes - If you will also be changing your address, don't forget to notify the Registrar's Office, the Commissioner of the Revenue's Office, the U. S. Postal Service with the USPS Change of Address Form and the Internal Revenue Service with IRS Form 8822.
  • Other - Don't forget to notify other agencies, businesses and associates that your name has changed.


Certified copies of marriage records may be obtained in person or by mail from the circuit court clerk's office that issued the marriage license for a fee of $3.00 or from the Virginia Division of Vital Records in Richmond for a fee of $12.00. The full names of the bride and groom and the date and place of marriage must be provided. 

Contact Me

What other questions can I help answer?

Rev. Howard F. Travers, Jr.

Beach Clergy

Post Office Box 2191, Salisbury, MD 21802

(443) 783-1730 (Call / Text)